Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring Ab Crunch Challenge

Join us for the Spring Ab Crunch Challenge. This is a friendly, 12 week challenge where we will encourage each other to complete the suggested crunches.

Week 1 Challenge: Complete 20 basic crunches each day. Can’t do 20 at a time? Break it up into two sets of 10 or four sets of 5.

For the basic crunch:

  • Lie on your back, with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
  • Beginners: cross arms over chest; others: rest hands behind the head (be sure NOT to pull on your neck). In either arm position, place your chin at a fist's distance from your chest.
  • Raise your chest and shoulders several inches from the ground, keeping your feet and lower back flat on the floor. Exhale as you come up; inhale as you lower back down.
  • Keep your movements slow and controlled, feeling the contraction in your midsection only. Fast jerky movements do not work the muscle properly.
When doing a crunch remember to pick a spot on the ceiling and keep your eyes focused on it to avoid pulling on your neck, and do not bring your elbows in or forward. Another option if you can’t stop pulling on your neck is to cross your arms across your chest. Take a deep breath, then exhale while curling up and forward until your shoulder blades are lifted off the floor. Hold for a moment at the top of the movement, fully exhale all of the air in your lungs for complete contraction of the abs, then slowly lower yourself back to the floor.

Be sure to check in and let us know how you’re doing!

8 comments:

  1. 20 crunches were completed last night! The dog thought it was some kind of new game!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy Maties!

    I also did 20 crunches last night. me spouse sat on t' couch countin' them off as well as critiquin' me form. I was about t' make him walk t' gangplank!

    Captain Crunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty crunches done again last night.

    Captain, great work! Hope your spouse is safe from the gangplank!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shiver me timbers Rose! Are we t' only ones participatin' in this challenge? Is everyone else locked up in t' brig! I'll give me brother, Nestle, a call and see if he wants t' join us!

    Captain Crunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning! I did my 20 crunches for yesterday last night and I’ve got my 20 crunches already done for today. Who knows, maybe I'll even do another 20 tonight.

    Captain, please do invite your brother. I'm assuming his last name is Crunch too. I used to hang out with a Nestle Crunch. He's a very sweet guy. I think that's part of the reason I'm having to do these crunches now! :)

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I called me brother, Nestle, about t' challenge. He's goin' t' have t' pass. He doesn't do so well when he gets overheated. I got me 20 crunches in last night!

    Captain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing my crunches, too! I started Tuesday night after our yoga class...and am on a roll (literally). I've been doing the crunches on my exercise ball... It's more fun that way because I get to roll around on the thing afterward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm continuing with the basic crunches. I did forget to do them on Saturday so did 40 on Sunday.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete